In the last few days, the plaster layer has been removed from walls where work will need to be done. Apparently, where walls need to be squared and patched, the previous plaster needed to be removed so that it will all blend in smoothly. Plus, in some of these areas, new steel I-beams and ceilings will be added.
The patch of bricks seen here is in the wall where the opening will be busted out. We wanted to see the state of the bricks in case I decide to leave some exposed, but this may create an unfinished look in what is a decidedly non-industrial 1930s home. If I had my dream loft, it would work better, but the jury is still out.
Even though there is a mountain of sand in my living room, the workers are keeping the place quite clean and organized. They seem to be working more quickly than I expected, at least at this stage. Below, you can see the temporary braces that have been inserted to prepare for the busting out of the structural wall. This can happen only when the paperwork between the engineer and the city has been approved, which should happen next week.
With the new plaster, the corners in the kitchen nitch have been squared off. The representative from the kitchen store came yesterday to confirm the measurements and coordinate with the construction team. I finally decided after much deliberation to get an kitchen made by ARAN.
I have also ordered the bathroom elements: sink, toilet, bidet, shower stall, faucets, etc. The bathroom is looking very crude at this point, but is shaping up. A new ceiling will be put in place where lighting can be inserted, and the space won’t be so tall and narrow, plus it will be easier to heat when cold. The photos look extremely rustic with a divine light, but the space will soon be bright and clean.
See the previous post: Men at Work – demolition begins.