Moving forward, the gas, plumbing, and electrical lines have been mapped and tracks have been excavated into the brick walls. Some even go out to the exterior of the building through gaping holes.
I decided to not take a chance with the 10+ year old water heater that was mounted outside of the kitchen and went ahead and purchased a water heater with condensation instead of the heat exhaust. This also allowed us to reclaim the original chimney pipe for the stove top exhaust rather than adding a new one to the exterior of the building which would have had to go all the way to the roof.
Most of the plastered tracks and holes have been patched and smoothed and the walls are resembling something like a living space. One wall, however was flaking paint, so I scraped much of it off today. Several old layers revealed themselves to be the popular paint colors throughout the decades.
Back in the bathroom, the 90x90cm ceramic shower floor has been placed. Behind it, there will be a marble-clad seat and shelf. I found a piece of marble at a junk shop and had it cut into 2 pieces.
Today, I worked on the brick sink wall. An acid wash took off most of the plaster residue. The difference can be seen here below. I found a little surprise in one of the bricks… someone’s thumb print that has been concealed by plaster since the 1930s. I wonder whose it is!